In the quiet of her room Santina paused, at long last, to consider her heart’s desire. She recalled “The Emerald Tablet”—the words attributed to the sage Hermes Trismegistus as translated in the manual. “That which is below is like that which is above, and that which is above is like that which is below.” Through this are performed miracles of the one thing…
From Alchemy’s Daughter
The Emerald Tablet
If you were a medieval alchemist, chances are you hung a copy of The Emerald Tablet in your laboratory. Here is a link to a copy of Sir Isaac Newton’s translation (c. 1680) of the Emerald tablet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Tablet
- The original tablet was molded out of a single piece of green crystal and written by Hermes Trismegistus in a language similar to ancient Phoenician.
- At the beginning of the tenth century, the tablet was found in the innermost chamber of a pyramid by an Arab named Mohammed ibn Umail, also known as Senior. While less enlightened robbers broke into pyramids to steal mere gold and jewels, Senior was looking for the Egyptians’ secret of alchemy.
- Encoded in the tablet was a powerful formula outlined in specific steps. However, the formula was carefully worded in a way that would conceal the ancient knowledge.
- The artifact was rediscovered by Alexander the Great, who had the tablet translated into Greek and put on public display in 330 BC. About 400 AD the tablet was thought to have been buried in Egypt in order to keep it safe from religious extremists who were burning libraries at that time. Some say the tablet remains buried there to this very day.
Here are a few of my own thoughts on the Emerald Tablet:
- The first, most famous lines (That which is above is like that which is below) refer to the idea that the world of spirit, or Heaven, is closely related to the world of matter, or Earth. There is unity between the two realms, and the principals, or laws, of Heaven apply to us here on Earth as well. In order to create what we want on Earth, we have to understand and work with these principals.
- All creations on Earth, including you and me, come from God. Everything in our world, the good and the bad, is the product of spiritual beings.
- When you connect to your spiritual self (unite the sun with the moon, according to the tablet) and purify your human soul, then you are able to accomplish great works on Earth and achieve your destiny.
- By this means you shall have the glory of the whole world in line 9 is the gift of spiritual gold. Viewing life within a spiritual context, alchemists create with loving, positive intention, as God created the world.