Although Papa was fully occupied with the business of importing cloth and overseeing his two stores, he shared Calandrino’s interest in the subject of alchemy. Before long the two had taken to working together in the attic room of the Pietras’ home, measuring and mixing salts and metals, trying to make gold.
From Alchemy’s Daughters
A few things you might like to know about alchemy:
- Alchemy is the ancient science of changing lead into gold.
- Popular during the Middle Ages, alchemy was considered the mother of chemistry and medicine.
- While practitioners like the legendary Nicholas Flamel are said to have succeeded in making the precious metal, the greatest aim of the experiment is not metallic gold, but spiritual gold—or self-transformation.
- The secrets of the ancients are now yours for the taking.
- As you, the alchemist, advance through the phases of the experiment, you will change yourself, your life, and accomplish your greatest ambitions.
- In order to protect their discoveries from thieves and from those who frowned upon the Great Work, alchemists developed a secret language of symbols.
- Click on the Alchemical and Egyptian Symbols tabs to view/print some classic and modern alchemical symbols and develop a secret language of your own.